Friday, October 14, 2022

Notorious WUBRG: Drafting Dominaria

I finally got to draft Dominaria last night.  I've been trying to draft this set for weeks, but plans kept changing, so I kept having to miss it.

I didn't really have a good grasp on what's in the set ahead of time, except that Domain was a keyword. That's both a good and a bad thing.  It's good because it's easier to go 5-colors, but it can be a bit bad if it's too easy.  

What I drafted, in order.  Pack 1 on the left.

The draft went about as you'd expect.  I got tons of the tapped duals.  A lot of rares came around, so I took them.  (Caves of Koilos went really late!)  I think someone else was drafting Domain (there were 5 drafters) so I missed out on a lot of Domain cards.

 What I ran.  Only seven basics!

I built my deck a bit hastily and I never made modifications, which was probably a mistake.  I think I needed a few more creatures.  I went 1-2, but as usual I still had a blast.  Some notes for the future:

  • I don't think I need to grab the lands quite as quickly as I did.  It was great to have 10, but 8 or 9 probably would have been okay.  I'm not sure how many of them would have wheeled.
  • It's great to take anything with different-colored kickers and not be afraid of being able to use it.
  • I lived the dream and cast Yavimaya Sojourner on turn 3 in one game!
  • I don't think I would bother with Salvaged Manaworker in the future.  Unless I didn't get enough lands.

 I really hope I get the chance to try this format again before things rotate!





No comments:

Post a Comment