Sunday, September 10, 2023

Wilds of Eldraine: WUBRG Drafting

Drafts have not been firing at my prior FNM haunt of choice due to a sudden exodus of players.  (There's more behind this that I won't get into, suffice to say that the ad-hoc boycott seems justified.)  

Thankfully, a local group formed in response and I was invited to join in for a Wilds of Eldraine draft on Friday, which was during release weekend.  This was super fun and I got to know a bunch of people really well.  

Here's what I drafted in the 8-person group.  The left pile is the first pack, right is the third.  The picks go from first in front to last in the back.  (Sorry for the glare.)

That first pick Hatching Plans turned out to be just fine.

I prioritized Hatching Plans because I had taken a look at the spoiler and knew I could probably pick up some bargain-based cards.  As it turned out, I did manage to get a few, most notably the Diminisher Witch, which turned out to be extremely useful.  Other than that, I grabbed stuff that seemed good or might be good. 

Here was my deck after the matches ended:

That empty sleeve is in place of the third Diminisher Witch that I must have lost after the last match.

I probably should have run the second Brave the Wilds, but I forgot about it.  Also, initially my deck contained Wicked Visitor, Johann's Stopgap, and Rowan's Grim Search, but I sided them out partway through round 2 for the Flick a Coin, Compulsion, and Break the Spell.  I never cast the Wicked Visitor or Rowan's Grim Search, but the three spells I put in definitely should have been there from the start.  Especially Compulsion.  I ran four of them in a standard deck back in 2003, so I know how to use the card, especially for cycling lands away late in the game.  For the other two, Break the Spell is great against roles and Flick the Coin is tremendously good.  Especially when drafting WUBRG, and even more especially when having a bunch of bargain cards that would like to sacrifice a token.  The most important thing for this deck is that every time I cast Hatching Plans, I wound up drawing three cards off of it.  It was absolutely amazing.


In the first round I matched up against a fast Boros deck.  I think I lost 1-2, but it could be 0-2.  Either way I put up a good fight.  I definitely made some play mistakes, most notably using a Diminisher Witch to put a Cursed Role token on Kellan, the Fae-Blooded.  That was a problem because it counted toward's Kellan's bonus as well as didn't cause an opponent's role to fall off.  (Important: roles only replace others if they are controlled by the same player!)  Future note: Shrouded Shepherd is really good, and caught me off guard multiple times!  I should draft those.

In the second round, I faced off against a brutal Azorius deck that kept tapping my creatures down.  This is apparently a really good strategy against me, as evidenced by my loss earlier this summer to a similar style deck.  Solitary Sanctuary came out just about every game and was really hard to play around.  I won a close game 1, got steamrolled in game 2, and then got really lucky in game 3 to sneak out a second win. 

In the third round, I matched up against an Esper deck with lots of rats, including Lord Skitter.  In this match, I had more time to set things up, so Hatching Plans and Diminsher Witch both turned out to be extremely useful.  The games went the same as round 2: I won games 1 and 3 to round out another match win.  Unlike my other rounds, all three games were extremely tight.  I played a lot better and started to use Diminisher Witch as post-combat removal against creatures that blocked with a high toughness.

This was a really great and chill event.  Everyone was super nice and the stakes were happily low.  I felt pretty good about going 2-1 in my first WOE draft, even though all of my wins were squeaked out.  I hope I get to draft with this group again!

No comments:

Post a Comment