Sunday, June 13, 2021

Drafting WUBRG: Strixhaven (Round two)

After my second Strixhaven draft, I can definitely say that it is an excellent format for five-color-drafting.  I again pulled off a 5-color deck and was very seldom in trouble color-wise.  I again drafted a ton of great cards.  And I again went 1-2.  I still think this went better and I nearly won both rounds I lost.

This time I kept my pulls in the order that I drafted them so you can see how that went.  Here's my card pool (complete with my 5-color (d)rafting deckbox):


The first pack is the left column, with picks starting in the front.  Some things to point out:

  • My first five picks were all rares.  That felt pretty weird.
  • I went more heavily into lessons.  They are real good.  I will continue to do this if I get to draft Strixhaven again.  I don't think I needed 3 Environmental Sciences, though.
  • Learn cards are great.  Pop quiz is an amazing card in draft.  I should take it more highly in the future.
  • I still managed to pull off 9 non-basic lands.  I think I should keep track of how many I get next time, as more than 9 would probably be too much.

With the 9 non-basics and 9 lessons, I only had to cut 4 cards to get to 23 spells.  (45 - 18 = 27)  It was still pretty hard.  Here was my deck:

 

Without Quintorius this week, Lorehold Excavation wasn't as amazing.  Later on, I put Fuming Effigy in instead, which I probably should have done throughout.  I will say that double Returned Pastcaller is really amazing.  

Last week my deck was mostly Quandrix, this week it was definitely more of a Prismari-Lorehold mix, and that worked quite well.  Although I missed the presence of a Bookwurm, I would be happy to get a pool similar to this again.  I think I could play it better as well.

Happy Drafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment