Saturday, June 26, 2021

Drafting WUBRG: Strixhaven (Third Time's a Charm)

Well, not that much of a charm... I went 1-2 again, but I had another great time.  Here's what I drafted.  Packs 1 to 3 left-to-right.  Front-to-back in the pack order.


This time we had 8 people, but my counts turned out pretty much the same as normal:

  • 8 non-basic lands, which is fine, except that one of those is Biblioplex, so that didn't help with mana fixing.
  • 6 lessons.  That's pretty normal.
  • Only 4 ways to Learn, however.  That was definitely a missing part of the puzzle.

Somehow I need to pay attention to my counts for all three of these things while drafting.  I don't think I'm allowed to write that down while it's happening, though, and I tend to get distracted pretty easily.

I also passed on a Cultivate I opened, which was a bad idea.  Verdant Mastery was real good, even for the cheaper cost.

Here's what I built:

 

I think the choice of lands was correct.  (Except that I should probably have ditched the Biblioplex.)  I like the spells I chose, though Double Major was probably too much to ask for.

However, I do think I'm too eager to be on the draw.  This is probably a mistake I've been making for a while, since enter-the-battlefield-tapped duals have been common in land slots for a few years.  This means I'm playing with lots of mana fixing so I don't need the extra card as bad, and I need to avoid getting rushed before I can put some big stuff down.

On that same note, I should probably consider going 22-18 (lands to spells) instead of the 23-17 I have been sticking to for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment