Saturday, March 23, 2024

No Repeats Chaos Draft (WUBRG drafting)

I chaos drafted with some friends today.  The best part: we didn't open any two of the same pack.  Here's what we opened:

Am I getting too predictable in my pack choices?


The drafting started really well.  Three dual lands came around easily and I grabbed them, and I expected to get more.  Somehow I didn't keep my eyes open for other modes of mana fixing, and that cost me in the end.  I often had unplayable cards in my hand because of one or two missing colors.  I really dropped the ball there.  

The atmosphere was excellent, however.  The experienced player to my right opened the Mystery Booster second so that they would pass to the right, towards the younger players.  They were smart enough to know that I would have a hard time resisting the playtest card and wanted the younger players to have a chance to see and play with it.  (It worked; they took it.)

After three packs, here's what my picks looked like: 

As always, these are left-to-right, front-to-back.

 

You may notice that I got a single Tales of Middle Earth card, but the remainder of the picks are only from Wilds of Eldraine, Brothers' War, and Strixhaven.  That's because the player to my right pulled the trigger on his Agent of Acquisitions to claim the rest of the Tales pack.  

Nevertheless, this was a really fun draft deck, mostly because I got really lucky during the drafting:

  1. General's Enforcer tabled a few times and I grabbed it because I like to run multi-colored things.
  2. In pack 2, I saw Halana and Alena, Partners and Errant and Giada.  I was very excited about the cross-set synergy.
  3. Finally, in pack 3, I opened War of the Last Alliance then immediately saw Greta and Loran.  Together with the Ognis I had already found, I was ready for my legendary tribal deck to go off.

Here's what the deck looked like:

Only three non-basics, and only in three colors.  Who am I?


I don't think I made the best choices for the deck, but I never went back and fixed it because the games just kept going and it was too fun to play.

In the first round, I was up against Gruul aggro, which went very smoothly.  They played some nice mana-fixing rocks and I sat with dead cards in my hand for most of the two games I lost.  I put up a fight in game two, but it wasn't enough.  In the first game, I actually thought I had a chance to come back from 1 life after I played a Bloodfell Caves, went up to 2, and had enough to win on blocks against everyone but a 1-power attacker.  The caves would have given me enough fixing to run stuff out.  Unfortunately, my opponent had removal and that was that.  0-1.

In the second round, I faced an aggressive Orzhov deck that also put me on the ropes early.  Once again I was stuck with dead cards in my hand and I lost in two games.  In both games I had trouble dealing with Black Knight's protection from white. 0-2.

In the third round I played against a slick Simic deck with a neat balance of aggro and control.  (Is that what midrange means?)  I lucked out in both games, however, and managed to get my legendary human gang moving with General's Enforcer.  

Greta also combos well with Meticulous Excavation

After Greta, Errant and Giada and Halana and Alena both came down in excellent fashion.  I ground out two wins, but neither of them were easy.  1-2.

This was an amazing draft!  I loved going through cards from 12 different sets, and it was even more amazing with the inclusion of a Mystery Booster.  I would love to do this again, even it meant another 1-2 showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment