Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Rielle Combos Across Sets: WUBRG Drafting

I got in another 4-person chaos draft last night.  Here are the packs we chose:

How much street cred do I lose for opening two of the same pack?

I opened Rielle and then looked for discard effects as well as mana fixing for the rest of the draft.  I got a bunch of discard outlets: Startling Development, Stern Lesson, Big Score, Jaxis, Echo Inspector, and Psychic Pickpocket.  I also had a payoff in Terminal Agony.   

I thought I took a photo of all of my picks, but apparently I did not.  Oops!  (I know I laid them all out in the usual way...  I need to be more careful!) 

Here's the deck I put together:

Only one dual land!!!!!!!

Okay, two things to note about the very poor land draftage:

  • I did make up for it with one landcycler in Furnace Host Charger and two similarly-good mana fixing exilers in Masked Bandits and Spara's Adjudicators.  (I'm actually not sure whether the landcyclers are better or worse than the New Capenna exile-fixers.)
  • I failed to get land in part because I wasn't the only WUBRG drafter in the group!  (More on that later.)

Since there were four of us, we did single-game rounds again, though I got in a few extra games here and there.  

In the first round I was up against Abzan aggro.  And... I got stomped.  My opponent just had a bunch of efficient creatures that I was not able to keep up with.  I don't have much to say here, except that I saw Jewel Thief hit the board and thought "Why didn't I draft that?" to myself.  It's such a good, efficient creature and it fixes your mana!  0-1

We decided not to match the winners up together (my preference) so in the second round, I faced off against the other WUBRG drafter.  Over the course of the draft, they kept adding colors, which wound up paying off when they opened Kyodai.  I couldn't believe it!  Thankfully, I got Rielle and awesome synergy cards and they fell victim to the Mana Screw.  

Rielle + Psychic Puppeteer + Jaxis + they are missing black = Profit.

They managed to get down The Temporal Anchor right before the end, but I was able to use Jaxis and the Puppeteer to remove it every turn.  I avoided the damage to my WUBRG-drafting reputation and won.  1-1  (They changed the deck to drop white after that game.)

In the third round I was up against a strong Mardu deck with a heavy emphasis in white.  I started with Rielle in hand, but got on the back foot quickly, soaking some damage and neutralizing threats a turn later.  We had a cool sequence of spells where I self-caused a discard to play Terminal Agony for it's madness cost.

Rielle makes it happen.


They spared their Knight-Errant, but I still got to draw my cards and made them spend their combat trick early.  I wasn't feeling good a few turns later, however, when they played a big creature I don't remember and a plotted Stagecoach Security, gave them both haste, and swung.  I elected not to block and went to 2 while they were comfortably at 11.  I lucked out on the next turn and drew Annie Joins Up.  With that, I killed the only blocker, laid down the Furnace Host Charger, then swung for exactly 11 with the other 6 power of creatures I had.  Close! 2-1  

In the other match, had my second-round opponent won, I would have won the draft!  

Lessons: 

  • I didn't get enough lands, but I made up for that a bit with the landcyclers and exilers.  
  • Rielle is good.
  • Wacky drafting is so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment