Saturday, March 25, 2023

Notorious WUBRG: Phyrexia: All Will Be One Draft (Round 2)

I got a second ONE draft in!  I figured I was going to be in the same sort of shape as the first time (Red/Blue Oil + Equipment with a splash of everything else).  Instead I ran a mostly-Red Oil deck with a lot of other good stuff in all colors.


Here's what I drafted.  Pack 1 is on the left and Pack 3 is on the right.  (I was really sad to get the Obliterator so late!)

I took Kemba because it was neat, but it turned out to be real good!  From those picks, I built the following deck.


Although there's only two Terramorphic Expanses, I was pretty lucky with my colors.  I think I probably should have found room for the other Sawblade Scamp, however.  That card did a lot of work, especially with Churning Reservoir and Urabrask's Anointer.  The big surprise was that Volt Charge just kept coming around, so I kept taking them.  

Overall I went 2-1, losing my first match, then winning the remaining two.  However, only one of my games was a blowout: one of the first round losses.  I barely squeaked by with a win in Round 2 and Round 3 was also very tight.  In the last two rounds, The Filigree Sylex won me a pair of games.  Although it's not as amazing as Pernicious Deed, that second ability was enough of a threat for me to charge up the third ability.  In Round 3, I won a game with my opponent starting the turn at 16 (I think) life. 3 combat damage, a Volt Charge (3 more damage and 3 more oil counters, putting me at 11), and then the Sylex made that happen.

I was hoping (planning?) to see more equipment, but things worked out fine.  I really wish this draft season was longer so I could do more of these, but I think next Friday might be the last one.





No comments:

Post a Comment