Thursday, March 30, 2023

Notorious WUBRG: Repack Draft

I held a repack draft three days ago with five other people.  These are mostly from cards that were donated to me about 8 years ago.  I decided to build packs from those cards to run (nearly) free drafts with students.  I first separated them by color, then used a little recipe to build 15-card packs: 2 of each color, 2 multicolored, 1 non-land colorless (usually artifacts), 1 land, and 1 random non-land card.

The power level of these packs is understandably low, but I got some great cards to build a WUBRG deck with!

I wasn't shy about taking Opaline Bracers, though they might have tabled.  I do think Shoreline Ranger was probably undervalued; I managed to get some of them pretty late.  After I got Airborne Aid at the end of pack 1, I tried to build a tribe out of them.  Unfortunately, though I ran it, I never saw Aid itself, so I didn't get to cash in on that value.  Here's how I built my deck:

I went 2-0, but just barely won the first round.  My opponent had skillfully drafted 3 Orzhov Euthanist, and kept landing killing blows with them.  I had my back against the ropes in game 3, down in life around 6-16.  However, I had a flier with the Opaline Bracers, a Baton of Courage with some counters, and drew into Uncaged Fury.  I swung unblocked for the win.

I was hoping to play a third round, but it had gotten a bit late, so we ended early.  It was really fun, especially since I got to play with some new people!




No comments:

Post a Comment